For community groups in Victoria that are incorporated under the Associations Incorporation Reform Act 2012 (the Act), Consumer Affairs Victoria (CAV) is the government body that regulates their compliance with the Act.

In addition to issuing and receiving the Annual Statement (which such groups need to complete and submit to CAV after their Annual General Meetings), CAV needs to be notified of certain changes made by these organisations.

Some of these changes are made by Special Resolution of the organisation and include:
– Changing the Rules of the organisation – your current Rules will tell you the process you need to go through to change them, and this should include lodging the proposed new Rules with CAV for final approval after they have been endorsed by your organisation.
– Changing the name or purpose/s of your organisation
– Amalgamation, winding up or seeking cancellation by CAV of your organisation.

Other changes of which CAV must be advised (within 14 days) include:
– Change of secretary
– Change of registered address
– Transfer of incorporation

CAV has a great website with lots of useful information and fact sheets for community groups, particularly in relation to the various requirements of the Act, as well as links to other useful websites (such as Justice Connect, formerly PILCH Connect) to help you find out more.

And from time to time CAV runs information sessions for community groups to inform them about important matters (such as in the lead up to the recent introduction of the Act).

You can download this Blog Post as a tip sheet by clicking here:Tip Sheet_ Consumer Affairs Victoria